• Home
  • About Me
  • Our House

12/20/12

babys 1st christmas: meeting santa

For as long as I can remember, Ive always had dreams of what it would be like to have my own kids to make holiday memories with. Im lucky enough that I have a sister who has 2 children who I've been able to take part in the memory making for the past 12 years with, but I would be lying if I didnt say I was always dreaming about when my day would come to do those type of things with my own children.

You can see that this isnt something I take lightly, as I even posted about our Christmas Bucket List  earlier this month. And boy, Ive been making sure to cross off as many of those items as possible in the past few weeks. One of my most favorite being taking Matthew to see Santa Claus.
Just like with his first pumpkin patch experience, I made sure to do my research and try to find a place where it wouldnt be just some fake looking Santa doing it to make the money. But more of an experience for our lil family of three to partake in together. Ill admit, I was tempted to go the easy route and just pop over to the mall, but I knew I wanted it to be more than "just for the sake of it" type of day. Unfortunately, when I asked my mommy friends for their suggestions I was disappointed that the one place I wanted to go, they didnt have good reviews on. They all suggested to just go to the mall.

However, against all their opinions, I decided to go with my gut and we planned to go to Bass Pro Shops like I wanted. To me, I just felt like the Santa there would be more authentic, plusalso you get a free 4x6 of the image no matter what. I figured why not, if I didnt like how it ended up then I could always resort back to the typical mall santa. To my pleasant surprise, we had an absolutely wonderful experience. And? Santa was awesome! Like really jolly, with rosy cheeks, and a REAL beard too!
We had planned on being at Bass Pro Shops around 9:30am  since they opened at 9am and the Santa area would open at 10am. Well, like with any of my plans since becoming a mom, we ran late. Like we didnt even make it out of the house until 9:50am, which put us at Bass Pro around 10:15am.

When we got there the parking lot was already packed, but thats to be expected at this time of year. We walked in and went straight back to Santa's Wonderland to see how long the line would be. Instead of being faced with screaming children and a long line, we were greeted by one of Santa's elves who ushered us towards a little stand with a sign displaying "Bass Pass." Lets just say BEST.IDEA.EVER. Just like at Disney Parks where you can get a fast past to return at a later time for a shorter line, you could get a Bass Pass to return to see Santa at a particular time. And while you wait? Shop the store! It was like a dream come true. And to our surprise, our Bass Pass read 10:30am. It was 10:20am. That meant we literally only had 10 mins to wait. I told hubby to go check out the fish tank so I could go change Matthew in the restroom. And by time I returned, it was our time to go see Santa.
 
I promise, we really only waited about 5 mins in the next line. Which actually kept us occupied by Matthew staring at all the decorations hanging on the ceiling and hubs playing some virtual fishing and hunting games, conveniently placed next to the line.

While we stood in line, I happened to notice that their were a few people holding their own cameras around their neck. I wondered, was I allowed to take my own pics? I mean, from my recollection, at the malls, you dont have the option of using your own camera. Heck, they practically scream at you for even the slighted motion of a cell phone snapping a pic, let alone whipping out your DSLR. I waved down the nearest elf and asked, "Out of curiosity, I see some people have their own cameras, is it permitted that we can take our own pics too?" How pleasantly surprised was I with the response I was given, "Of course! We just ask that you wait until our photographer is done snapping a shot so that we can make sure your child is looking our way, because once you try to take a pic the kids tend to only look at you."  Seriously? I get a free 4x6 that you take, plus I can take my own afterwards? sounds like a good comprise to me. I handed Matthew to hubs and quickly snatched my camera from under the stroller.

 

Once it was our turn I was actually a little nervous. Would he scream? Would he be scared of Santa? Would he cry? Would we even get 1 picture?.....We all walked up to Santa. Hubs handed Santa Matthew.

 

Funny thing, I specifically remember what Santa said to us, "Wow we got a big boy here, let me guess, hhmmm, about 10 months?" To which both hubs and I began laughing hysterically, "Umm no Santa, hes only 6 months," to which we all began laughing. Yes thats my chunky lil boy. 


We slowly walked away to get out of the picture. It seemed like Matthew was intrigued by Santa. Just staring at him. Then we tried for a smile. "Matthew, over here, look at us, *kissing noises*clapping*" there it is, hes looking. snap.snap.snap. We got it!

He may not have been completely smiling in the one pic, but we did get a few. Then he grabbed a hold of Santas beard. (like literally, we found white hair in his fists a few moments afterwards)

 
 

Then started crying, but Santa shushed him a little and he stopped.



We scooped him up and off we went. Stopping at the counter first for our free 4x6. It came out so cute, I just had to order some prints right then and there. And for $20 i think I got like 6 sheets (some wallets, 2-5x7's, and a few others). Still cheaper than any packages I can remember at the mall. And I dont have to worry about getting them printed for christmas presents to grandmas ;)

All in all, I was extremely happy with how the whole thing went down. And Im truly surprised that so many of my friends and tried to discourage me from going there. I think it was by far the best place to take him to meet Santa. And plusalso, even though Matthew wasnt able to get involved with the other activities, Bass Pro also had kids workshops available at specific times to make holiday crafts and also stations to play with some of the bass pro toys (you know 4 wheelers and such lol). I will definitely make it a tradition to go there every years and I cant wait for Matthew to one day make me an ornament or frame or something from one of those workshops! hehe




1 comment:

  1. A happy baby on Santa's lap?? I don't think I've ever seen that before! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete

things i blog about

#Roads #SentimentalJourney 14months 2012 2013 3 months 4th of july about me about us advice anniversaries babies baby #1 baby blues baby boy style baby elf baby fever baby giraffe baby pumpkin baby shower baby-free weekend babys firs valentine's day babys first bath babys first christmas babys first easter babys first halloween babys first pumpkin babys first pumpkin patch babys first smiles babys first thanksgiving bachelorettes beach beauty before and after bin laden birth birth story birthday giving birthdays birthing books Brave bunny business cameras careers celebrations challenges Chris Mann christmas christmas eve cold weather confessions conneticut constests country country music cousin frankie cousins cruises currently day-in-the-life deals death debt design diet disappointment Disney disney pumpkin donate dream house earache easter easter basket elections emergency room emmy rossum exercise fall family fashion featured posts finances five on friday florida football freebies fridays letters friends fundraise gender reveal gift giving gifts giveaway goals grandparents hair halloween health high school history holiday bucket list holidays home home tour house renovation hubby i won infantino inpiration intro iPhone iphone 5 jack-o-lantern kitchen labor life living room love Luminous married life marry-wed game matthew me memories merry christmas mickey mouse jack-o-lantern mickey mouse pumpkin milestones mommy meltdown monthly updates movies music my family rocks neighborhood New Jersey new mom new york niece oceans office pajamas parenting parents photo challenge photography photography business pinterest pixar PONDS post-baby pre-baby pregnancy premama prenatals procrastination product reviews project31 project365 pumpkin patch pumpkins questions quotes recipes republican reviews road trip Roads rock the ocean rolling stone sante fe saving schedules shopping shopping cart cover show and tell sick sleep issues snow so what social sponsored spring stress style swingset target tuesday tennessee thanksgiving The Croods The Little Mermaid The Voice things we love thoughts throwback thursdays TLC toddler tortuga music festival traditions trendy tot tuesday TTC turkey ultimate blog party vacation valentine's day videos vitamins voting vows walking weddedn bliss wednesdays wedding bliss wednesday weddings wednesday weigh-in wee bit wednesday weight weight watchers wife wine night winners winter wish list wordless{ish} Wednesday work working from home working mom year in review