• Home
  • About Me
  • Our House

5/23/11

Families are like fudge ...

"Families are like fudge ... mostly sweet with a few nuts"

If you read my most recent blog entry for A Conception Story, you may already know this, but we've had a lot of family in town the past couple of weeks on both my side and my hubby's side. Unfortunately, the visits were not for happy reunions, but for memorials for a close relative. My grandmother passed away and we will be doing a memorial for her in late June up in New Jersey where she is from. So most of the family that we saw was for Hub's uncle. 
Although it was unfortunate that the reason we were all together was to celebrate the life of a loved one, it was still nice to see cousins, aunts, and uncles that we havent seen for a while. Everyone was able to catch up on recent life events, particularly our life, our house, and the oh so talked about future "lil one." Ill be honest, I havent told most people (except for you lucky followers out there), that we are a part of the TLC thing. Not because I dont want them to know, I just would prefer to let them read or watch our journey once we "officially" start trying. Of course my mother, my sister, and his mother all know, but the rest of the family hasnt been told yet that we are going to start trying extremely soon. Which brings me to my next story....
So after the memorial we all went back to hub's grandmothers house to eat dinner. Now the memorial was from 6pm - 9pm that night, so by time we actually started eating dinner it was already 10:30. Of course, since the whole family was together everyone was enjoying the night with a few glasses of wine, a couple mixed drinks, and the inevitable few rounds of shots. I knew that we had to be at the church the following morning at 9am, and that it is approximately 35 mins from our house, so I chose not to indulge in the alcoholic festivities. Plus we still had to drive home, take showers, let the dogs out, and go to bed.
Well, the next day at the funeral when the hub's cousin (the son of the uncle who passed away) got up to give his speech in front of all the family and lots of friends he spoke about how the family shouldnt have to wait for things like this to see each other. He went on to talk about how close the family used to be and that he hates that he doesnt see his cousin for this reason, or his aunt for that reason, so on and so forth. Then he goes into saying that everyone is growing up, his cousins are getting married, his grandmother is going to be a great grandmother soon, and his aunts and uncles are going to be grandparents soon. It was actually a very truthful yet touching little speech he gave. 
After the funeral we all again went back to grandmas for some food (man these italians! all they do is eat! lol). Once everyone had calmed down and were sharing fun things again, a close friend of the family say "So I want to know, who's pregnant?" (referencing the speech his cuz gave). All of a sudden his other cousin, and one of the cousins boyfriends were both staring at me. I look at them and said "WHAT?!?!" And what do I get in response? 
"Well you did refuse every drink I tried to make you last night...." 
me:"And????.....you think IM PREGNANT?!?!?!" 
cousin: "well it kinda looked like that" 
cousins boyfriend "yeah, I thought so to..." 
cousin #3 "me too! 
me: "Well Im NOT!..(insert bunch of laughter here).....I just didnt feel like drinking because we had to get up early, and i dont like shots!"
By now everyone was cracking up. It didnt help that on top of that, my mother-in-law saw a toy chest filled with diapers, baby lotion, wipes, a bouncy seat, diaper rash ointment, etc in my spare bedroom the night before. Again, innocent coincidence. Its for my friends who just had the twin boys. Since their baby shower got canceled I havent had a chance to go to Orlando to give it to them. 
Sigh. I guess I should have been prepared for this. lol.
Needless to say, when his cousin and his girlfriend came back the following week for a planned vacation, I made it a point to have multiple drinks at dinner. lol. Dinner was then followed by a traditional stop at one of the familys favorite ice cream parlors in our city: JAXSONS. (Please, if youre ever in the south florida area, make it a point to go to this place, you wont be disappointed.) Pictures following are of my wonderful, yet slightly "nutty" family-in-laws. (and if theyre reading this, please know, I am proud to call myself part of your "nutty" family! <3 ya!)
I highly suggest requesting the marshmallow topping, it is to die for!

he actually ate that entire thing by himself

they shared a version of the above pic together and still couldn't finish it

my sundae

it looks like I barely made a dent in it
our dead soldiers (we did pretty good if you ask me) (and yes, that pitcher right there is what they serve the Root Bear Float in)


Hubs' best friend growing up, hubs, and me

All time fav photo of the night, Grams is the absolute best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

things i blog about

#Roads #SentimentalJourney 14months 2012 2013 3 months 4th of july about me about us advice anniversaries babies baby #1 baby blues baby boy style baby elf baby fever baby giraffe baby pumpkin baby shower baby-free weekend babys firs valentine's day babys first bath babys first christmas babys first easter babys first halloween babys first pumpkin babys first pumpkin patch babys first smiles babys first thanksgiving bachelorettes beach beauty before and after bin laden birth birth story birthday giving birthdays birthing books Brave bunny business cameras careers celebrations challenges Chris Mann christmas christmas eve cold weather confessions conneticut constests country country music cousin frankie cousins cruises currently day-in-the-life deals death debt design diet disappointment Disney disney pumpkin donate dream house earache easter easter basket elections emergency room emmy rossum exercise fall family fashion featured posts finances five on friday florida football freebies fridays letters friends fundraise gender reveal gift giving gifts giveaway goals grandparents hair halloween health high school history holiday bucket list holidays home home tour house renovation hubby i won infantino inpiration intro iPhone iphone 5 jack-o-lantern kitchen labor life living room love Luminous married life marry-wed game matthew me memories merry christmas mickey mouse jack-o-lantern mickey mouse pumpkin milestones mommy meltdown monthly updates movies music my family rocks neighborhood New Jersey new mom new york niece oceans office pajamas parenting parents photo challenge photography photography business pinterest pixar PONDS post-baby pre-baby pregnancy premama prenatals procrastination product reviews project31 project365 pumpkin patch pumpkins questions quotes recipes republican reviews road trip Roads rock the ocean rolling stone sante fe saving schedules shopping shopping cart cover show and tell sick sleep issues snow so what social sponsored spring stress style swingset target tuesday tennessee thanksgiving The Croods The Little Mermaid The Voice things we love thoughts throwback thursdays TLC toddler tortuga music festival traditions trendy tot tuesday TTC turkey ultimate blog party vacation valentine's day videos vitamins voting vows walking weddedn bliss wednesdays wedding bliss wednesday weddings wednesday weigh-in wee bit wednesday weight weight watchers wife wine night winners winter wish list wordless{ish} Wednesday work working from home working mom year in review