• Home
  • About Me
  • Our House

9/27/12

throwback thursdays: gender reveal

This weeks Throwback Thursday is kinda short and sweet. Its about how we found out whether we were going to be playing with dirt and tonka trucks or makeup and barbies.

  

As I've mentioned before, I am 1 of only 2 girls in the family. Growing up I loved having an older sister. She may not have liked have a tattle-tale younger sister who always told on followed her around, but eventually I realized that I would one day want 2 little girls to be able to share the same kind of bond my sister and I had. But for some reason, I always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted a little boy. And I wanted a little boy first. (you know, the whole older protective brother thing). But then when I got pregnant, Matt and I were convinced that because we both wanted a boy first, then the baby growing in my belly had to be a girl. And we thought that since everyone else that we knew were having boys, then we would most likely be the one to end up with a girl.

Now please do not mistake my want for a little boy first, to mean that I wouldnt have absolutely adored having a little girl growin in there. I just had it in my mind that I wanted a lil boy first. And of course the hubby wanted a little boy too, for a multitude of reasons. But we were so convinced that we were going to have a lil girl that we even had a name picked out for a girl already (Emma Rose).

Now usually the earliest a doctor might, and that a big MIGHT, tell you the gender through an ultrasound is around 16 weeks. But my doctor said that I would just find out at the anatomy scan I had scheduled at 20weeks. Lucky for me, I have a close friend who I met at my first job at age 16, who now happens to be an ultrasound tech at a local hospital. She also happened to be pregnant, with her 2nd son, and was due only 3 weeks before me.
me 32 weeks  |  ciji 35 weeks
So when I first called and told her I was pregnant, she immediately said she would do a gender scan for me when I got to 16 weeks. So only 2 days after Christmas 2011, Matt took off work early and we went to the hospital she worked out to find out.

But, you see, during the previous 16 weeks (when I swore up and down it was going to be a girl) I had also been pinteresting away cute ideas for a gender reveal. Should I have her right it on a piece of paper and put it in an evelope? Have my sis take it to the bakery and get the inside of a cake dyed blue or pink? Have her fill up a box with pink or blue balloons? Oh so many choices! But see Im also very impatient. like.extremely. And hubby wasnt too fond of these gender reveal ideas (yes hes very impatient too). So after my friend did the initial scan and decided she wanted to take me to a different room to use one of the better ultrasound machines, just to make sure, I couldnt help but axiously wonder if it was a boy or girl.

We went to the other room. Where another tech just so happen to be, who also confirmed with my friends guess at the gender, and now both Matt and I are chomping at the bit. Knowing these two people who stand in front of us know whether were going to have a son or daughter, and we dont? omg I couldnt handle it. But also didnt want my sis to be upset that we wouldnt be doing one of the gender reveal ideas we came up with. At one point my friend even said, "Just blame it on me, tell you sis I slipped at told you, not knowing you wanted it to be a secret." We all laughed. But in the end, I couldnt resist. So I had her tell me.

Yes, my son may end up killing me years from now, but this is the first picture of his "lil guy" as my niece calls it. Hubby couldnt control himself when he found out. He was excited beyond belief. I just couldnt comprehend that it was indeed a little boy. What its not a girl in there? is all I kept saying. And my friend and the other tech just kept saying "Oh trust us, its a boy in there!" They even said that normally they wont say for sure (like 100%) if its a certain gender, but both of them said that from what they saw it was most def a little boy.

And a couple weeks later at our anatomy scan, the tech there confirmed as well. Now, I couldnt not imagine not having a little boy. He is so precious, and I cant wait for one day when I can give him another sibling, whether it be brother or sister!

Oh and for those of you who have been following along for a while now, I guess Suzanne's fertility reading was somewhat wrong. We had a boy, not a girl, but we did find out in October, however, it was before my missed cycle not after.





How did you find our the gender of your baby? Dont forget to link up! Next week Ill be sharing how my baby shower went.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

things i blog about

#Roads #SentimentalJourney 14months 2012 2013 3 months 4th of july about me about us advice anniversaries babies baby #1 baby blues baby boy style baby elf baby fever baby giraffe baby pumpkin baby shower baby-free weekend babys firs valentine's day babys first bath babys first christmas babys first easter babys first halloween babys first pumpkin babys first pumpkin patch babys first smiles babys first thanksgiving bachelorettes beach beauty before and after bin laden birth birth story birthday giving birthdays birthing books Brave bunny business cameras careers celebrations challenges Chris Mann christmas christmas eve cold weather confessions conneticut constests country country music cousin frankie cousins cruises currently day-in-the-life deals death debt design diet disappointment Disney disney pumpkin donate dream house earache easter easter basket elections emergency room emmy rossum exercise fall family fashion featured posts finances five on friday florida football freebies fridays letters friends fundraise gender reveal gift giving gifts giveaway goals grandparents hair halloween health high school history holiday bucket list holidays home home tour house renovation hubby i won infantino inpiration intro iPhone iphone 5 jack-o-lantern kitchen labor life living room love Luminous married life marry-wed game matthew me memories merry christmas mickey mouse jack-o-lantern mickey mouse pumpkin milestones mommy meltdown monthly updates movies music my family rocks neighborhood New Jersey new mom new york niece oceans office pajamas parenting parents photo challenge photography photography business pinterest pixar PONDS post-baby pre-baby pregnancy premama prenatals procrastination product reviews project31 project365 pumpkin patch pumpkins questions quotes recipes republican reviews road trip Roads rock the ocean rolling stone sante fe saving schedules shopping shopping cart cover show and tell sick sleep issues snow so what social sponsored spring stress style swingset target tuesday tennessee thanksgiving The Croods The Little Mermaid The Voice things we love thoughts throwback thursdays TLC toddler tortuga music festival traditions trendy tot tuesday TTC turkey ultimate blog party vacation valentine's day videos vitamins voting vows walking weddedn bliss wednesdays wedding bliss wednesday weddings wednesday weigh-in wee bit wednesday weight weight watchers wife wine night winners winter wish list wordless{ish} Wednesday work working from home working mom year in review